Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

We have 6 cabins on a lake in maine that we'd like to sell

Customer Question
like condos. Where do we...
We have 6 cabins on a lake in maine that we'd like to sell like condos. Where do we begin?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/3/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first thing you would need to do in order to turn everything into condos, you would need to file a deed declaration and plans with the property clerk's office to set forth the restrictions and covenants creating condominium units. This also means you should form a non-profit condominium corporation to be the condo association as well.
This is not something that can be done without a local attorney. The attorney has to draft the condo Covenants, Codes and Regulations and the deed declaration and plans for filing. Once it is formed, then you can begin selling units. Once you sell off the units, then it is up to you to turn over control to the condo association to run and govern in accordance with the CC&R.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer