How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42235
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently purchased a condo and I am experiencing very

Customer Question

I recently purchased a condo and I am experiencing very annoying sound issues with my neighbors next door on my same level. I heard all kinds of impact noises like they are right inside my own unit: shoes on hardwood floors, hangers rattling in closets, doors and drawings being opened and shut, anything that falls on the floor, etc. I can also hear conversations or music once in awhile but those types of air transmissions are not nearly as loud or annoying as the impact noises. The other night I woke up thinking someone was walking down my hall into my bedroom but it was my neighbor walking down their hall. I don't believe my neighbors are being irresponsible or unreasonably loud, I just think the sound-proofing was not done correctly. All six units in my building are new construction inside an old historic building. I am the first occupant of my unit since the reconstruction. Do I have legal options for remedying the situation if building code sound performance isn't met? Any other suggestions? Many, many thanks, ***** ***** annoyed and frustrated new home owner!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

You may consider your own lawyer here locally to see if they cut corners and violated code or the Condo Association maybe liable for retrofitting.

This is a common problem if corners were cut in soundproofing.The hardwood or tile forms must have proper soundproofing.You have legal options here to force them to comply with code and to remedy the situation.

Your lawyer may pursue and resolve this matter through the courts if necessary.It doesn't sound like you got what you bargained for, there is a lack of peaceful enjoyment of your residence and it needs to be resolved so you can do so.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Builder may have to retrofit it with soundproofing..

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

A lawyer here may force them to retrofit and improve sound barriers for your situation.