How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7351
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question regarding the deed to our property and

Customer Question

I have a question regarding the deed to our property and house. It's kind of complicated but I have a copy of it in my e-mail that I can forward to you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Good morning: I'll be happy to assist you with a question about your deed. If you can create a file you can attach it here using the "paper clip" attachment In the tool bar.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband's divorce decree from his first marriage says his children are to receive 1/6th of the property we now own together. I will attach his divorce decree. Then 2 years ago we filed for bankruptcy as well as applied for a home mortgage modification. Because of the wording on the deed his children signed some type of waiver or whatever so the modification could go thru. I really didn't understand the whole thing so I can't explain it very well. I'll attach that paperwork as well. There has been a rift between my husband's children and his entire family recently because my step daughter's husband stole from us while they were living with us. He is in the army and attempting to get disability. Due to the financial value of the things he stole he has been charged with grand larceny. His trial begins on Tuesday, January 5, 2016. My step daughter and my husband's family want us to drop the charges so his grandchildren can receive benefits from the army. We would like to know if we will have to give my step children 1/6th of the profit we receive from selling the house. If so, then we will consider dropping the charges if they relinquish any claim they may have on the profits from the house sale. Please look over this complicated mess and let me know what your opinion is. Thank you in advance for your help.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

I reviewed the divorce decree, the deed and the corrective deed of trust. What you describe as a complicated mess, certainly appears to be so. Therefore, I do not feel comfortable Trying to tell you what the effect of those documents is without having an actual conversation with you so that I can more fully understand what the intent of the parties is. Even at that, my most likely advice will be to obtain a local real estate attorney to interpret those documents for you if you haven't already done so. Perhaps If you accept My offer of additional services so that I can speak with you by phone (later tonight would be best) might provide enough additional information for me to tell you where you stand.