How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What's the best way to research zoning and permits without

Customer Question

What's the best way to research zoning and permits without alarming the county? Trying to determine if I can rent my barn out for weddings in A1 General agriculture zone in James city county, VA. And what permits would I need.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

One thing that you may be wary of is if your stepfather is incapacitated (unable to legally make decisions), a drafted POA signed by him during his incapacity may not be valid as he cannot sign legal documents according to the law. You might pursue a guardianship in the courts in Florida to be safe. Ignoring that issue, you as POA can sue on his behalf and try to recoup the money on his behalf. Remember a POA only goes into place in the event of his incapacity.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Answered the wrong question, I will opt out, sorry.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
My name is Bill, I am a different expert on the forum.
Generally it is possible to get zoning use information by going to your local law library. (Our even the zoning department directly - remember you ate asking about use in zones, not specific properties).
However, if you are planning on conducting a business I would encourage you to consider retaining a local attorney to provide you with a formal legal opinion (something outside the scope of a q&a forum like this one), as that will give you the best assurance of the use for your property.
You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly). '