How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been living in this apartment 3 years now but did not

Customer Question

I have been living in this apartment for almost 3 years now but did not sign a new lease. My questions is, if things in the apartment starts falling apart, and I inform the landlord, but he refuses to fix them, and suddenly he writes me to move out before February 8, 2016, does it mean I have to fix everything in the apartment? What are the implications if the price of fixing the breaking things exceed the security deposit? I am curious.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You do not have to fix everything in the apartment. Your obligation is to return the property in the same condition it was in at the time you began leasing the property from the landlord.

If the price of fixing things exceeds the amount of the security deposit, then the landlord reserves the right to sue you for the difference.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I moved in, the ceiling fan had lights in them that was working. Bulb has been changed but they don't seem to work. It looks to me that the fan has to be replaced. When I called him about it, he is not responding at all. There is a garbage disposal under the sink in the kitchen that is not working anymore. These are some of the examples I am asking if I have to fix because I do not feel the need to go to court. I don't have the money/time to go for a hearing. I don't have time/money to get a representative either. I make $65,000.00 a year. I understand that, that may not make me qualify for free hearing. I am very troubled.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

If the fans and garbage disposal were working when you first moved in, then you will be responsible for fixing it.

Basically, you need to hand the property back to the landlord in the same condition it was in when you received it to not be responsible for repairs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Thank you.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome. Please don't forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Have a Happy New Year!