Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I reside in Las Vegas, NV and I was informed that the

Customer Question

I reside in Las Vegas, NV and I was informed that the property that I was living at for the past 10 years has been sold to a new owner for short sale yesterday. The water was shut off today by the previous owner and the current owner refuse to turn the water on. I called him numerous times and ignored my call. I have children living in the house. What is my tenant's right on this? Please help. Thanks.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a written lease in effect?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I have to locate it in my file box. It's been 10 years since I looked at that agreement.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

So, it has expired?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If the lease expired then you are a month to month tenant. That means the landlord or their successor is required 5to give 30 days notice to terminate the lease.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

That means the buyer is liable to you for damages for trying to evict you without legal process. You can sue the landlord for unlawful eviction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no expiration date on the agreement unless there is a clause that the agreement expires after several years. Neither the previous landlord nor the current owner taking steps in turning the water back on. What action can I take for someone to turn the water back on?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If it had no expiration then it is month to month.

Call the county housing department. They will inspect and cite the landlord for shutting off utilities.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.