How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116753
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently purchased a property that has an easement

Customer Question

I recently purchased a property that has an easement for the neighbor to enter their property. The neighbor has another access to their property and the neighbors property is a major eye sight. I would like to put up a privacy fence so I do not have to look at the trashed property. Is there a way to get the easement deleted?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The neighbor also has a total of 3 trailers on the property, all of the trailers have the same address. Two of the trailers go to their house from the other entrance (not where the easement is at).
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the easement is no longer necessary for access to the property the only way to terminate the easement, without agreement of the neighbor in writing, is to file a petition to terminate easement in court. In court, you have to present evidence there is an easier or closer access to the property and/or that they are using that other access and as such it is no longer necessary to have this other easement encumbering your property. You would need to have a local attorney involved to file the petition, but outside of an agreement in writing between the property owners, the court is the only one who can terminate the easement if it no longer is needed for its intended purposes.

Related Real Estate Law Questions