How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sublease, space, in nj, I have a contract lease. My

Customer Question

I sublease, for commercial space, in nj, I have a contract lease for 4yrs. My business is doing great, but my landlord wants to break our contract early...I want to stay, what can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you provide me a bit more information? On what basis does the landlord want to terminate your contract early? Did your sub-lessor have the right to sub-lease the property to you? Thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. I responded to your question by asking for a bit of additional information. But, I see that you have opened up a new question indicating you've received no response. And, when I attempted to open that question, I see that another expert grabbed it. Therefore, I am going to opt out so that expert can provide you the information you seek. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.

Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


Different contributor here. Please permit me to assist.

If you have a lease with a fixed term, you can simply refuse to leave. If the landlord locks you out, then you can sue for damages, which would include lost profits, and the cost of recovering the premises in court.

You can also offer to terminate early in exchange for a settlement payment in whatever amount you and the landlord is willing to agree upon.

That pretty much covers the issue.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!