Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

This has been addressed in part before. I am a resident in

Customer Question

Customer: This has been addressed in part before. I am a resident in an HOA community which imposes fines for traffic regulations. My guest was given a ticket for failing to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. Under the HOA rules, I am responsible for my guest. OK.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: How can I be afforded due process when the person who committed the violation is not at the hearing ? I can't possibly defend an allegation when I have no direct knowledge of the incident. I want to allege lack of due process. I suppose I can make the case but I will probably lose. Can I then sue to recover in small claims court? The community is in California,
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Real Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Can't wait right now. Should I try again later or tomorrow?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I totally understand your situation and I see your point. I would suggest calling your friend as a witness to the meeting. Secondly, due process really only applies to governmental investigation not a private investigation by an HOA or an employer. If the fine goes through, you could sue your guest for the amount you had to pay as the fine.