How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can the title condemned property in the State of Georgia be

Customer Question

Can the title for a condemned property in the State of Georgia be transferred from one owner to another without paying additional fees?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

The short answer is probably no, but you will have to negotiate to find out. Before you sign off on a deal, contact your local government’s Department of Condemnation and ask several questions:

(1) What, precisely, are the violations that caused the property to be condemned?

(2) Are there liens on the property?

(3) Will the government agree to a settlement?

This last factor alone can be tremendous: say there is a $20,000 lien attached to the title. If you show you have the resources to make the needed repairs, the government might and can agreed to waive much of the encumbrance. You will need to show a bank statement as proof of funds, proof that are authorized to take over the property and the seller has agreed to sell the property to you and a personal letter demonstrating that you know what the code issues are and that you have a plan to bring the property back up to snuff.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.