How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My morgage co raised my note to cover escro to pay my tax

Customer Question

my morgage co raised my note to cover escro to pay my tax and insurance .i have paid my on tax and insurance for five years.i have a over 65 agreement with the county to pay mt tax.the lender had doubled the note and wont talk to me to change it back. what can i do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.


If the mortgage company will not talk to you about this then you may need to sue or threaten to sue it under what is known as a declaratory judgment action for an order that says they can only charge you the tax amount actually owed based on your over 65 exemption. See this link for the law. Also, look at this section:

§ 37.009. COSTS. In any proceeding under this chapter, the court may award costs and reasonable and necessary attorney's fees as are equitable and just.

You can use this law as leverage for negotiation purposes. You best bet is to have a real estate litigation lawyer send a demand letter asking for compliance under the threat of a suit where the mortgage company may have to pay your fees under the law above. A letter like this may cost $200.00

You can find a real estate litigation lawyer near you by contacting the State Bar of Texas here.