How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9340
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Buys home jointly with friend,, in 1970. Both are single. In

Customer Question

Bruce buys home jointly with friend, Jim, in 1970. Both are single. In 1980, Bruce buys Jim out, but never records the transaction or changes the deed. 2015, Bruce (still single) passes away, leaving no will and is survived by his father, James. Jim agrees to sign a quit claim deed relinqishing his claim to the Bruce estate property. How does James proceed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Has anyone yet filed a probate case on the Estate of Bruce?

Is James the only living relative of Bruce?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probate to be filed once James figures how to handle the deed. Father and 3 brothers surviving.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

The father is the sole intestate heir, see

so he would normally be the one to file a probate case and to ask for appointment as Administrator of the Estate,

As administrator, his job includes collecting all assets of the Estate so he would get the quitclaim deed filed in the probate case, possibly as an Exhibit to his first account stating that the Estate owns 100% of the property.

He can get a free consultation from some of the probate attorneys listed by location here.

I hope this information is helpful.

Related Real Estate Law Questions