How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been renting at the same address, years. The owner of

Customer Question

I have been renting at the same address, for 24 years. The owner of the house passed away and the property was left to her son. He sold the property within two weeks although I was not informed until a real estate agen tcame by the house to see if the new owner could look inside before the house was to demolished, Rent has more than tripled after all these years and I do not have the money to pay for the first and last months rent somewhere let alone the cost of moving all my things somewhere,starting utility deposits after disconnecting the current utilities, the cost of a truck and two men to help pack up my things and move them for me. I am 64 years old and have some health issues. I just dont have the money to do all this and I am scared to no end, I have been paying the new owner the rent and have been for for four months and there isnt a problem in that regard. Is there a law that the new owner has to pay me a certain amount of money to help me relocate or anything legal I can do along those lines to help me move out Thankyou very much
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this situation.

While there is no guarantee of a right to remain in your property, or rent control (except for very limited jurisdictions in CA - such as San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland, and parts of Los Angles), or a right to remain in property while you save moving money - there are some things that may be able to help you.

  • First: if they raised your rent without giving you proper notice, you are entitled to a refund (and they may be forced to negotiate a more helpful remedy for you), see: (The new owner is bound by the same principles as the old landlord - so they must give the same notice etc.).
  • Second: if they want to terminate your lease - you are entitled to 60 days notice (you have lived there longer than 12 months), see:
  • Third: you can contact your local County housing department for assistance with relocating - let them know you are facing immenent loss of your housing, and they can move you to the top of their list.

You can sue your landlord for violations of the above housing codes, but it may be easier to negotiate a resolution, if you cannot reach a resolution through direct negotiations, contact your local bar association and ask for referrals to mediators - a third party neutral can help you negotiate a resolution (such as delaying your move out at the current location or helping to recover some of the increased rent - if they were in violation of the above statute).

Related Real Estate Law Questions