How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WiseOwl58 Your Own Question
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3675
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
WiseOwl58 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rented out my condominium years. Before renting out the

Customer Question

I rented out my condominium for 2 years. Before renting out the condo, my refrigirator and microwave worked fine. The tenant moved out recently, and I noticed 2 things.
1. Friday door handle is broken
2. Microwave does not work. Is sounds like it has pieces of metal in there, sounds very scary when turned on for a brief moment.
Can I legally get a quote and deduct from his Security deposit ?
I have listed both items on the Walk out document.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The microwave is built into the wall, it has a fan connected to it as well. So it's not a cheap item to replace.
Correction: Fridge door handle is broken
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property is located in Bethesda, MD
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

MD law allows a landlord to charge a tenant for damage done by the tenant, through their negligence. On the other hand, if appliances are broken due to normal "wear and tear"? The landlord is responsible for the repairs.

So the issue, in your case, will be was the damage caused by negligence of the tenant (their not properly using the appliance)? If so you can bill them? Otherwise, the tenant is not liable.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What state are you in?

Also, how old were the refrigerator and the microwave before you rented the place out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I no longer need an answer. Will be closing the issue.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.
I responded

Related Real Estate Law Questions