How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a construction company was paid less than fair market

Customer Question

If a construction company was paid less than fair market value for there services by the board and property management company for a condominium community, there job threatened, they complete the contract for the 3rd year in a row for less than fair market value and are terminatd and told the contract was given to another party for fair market value because they have more overhead than me is that legal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

This is a matter of private contract - so the two parties are entitled to negotiate whatever terms they deem acceptable to one another.

The contractor is not entitled to any particular rate or fee (if they agree to provide services below market rate, that is their risk/loss in exchange for handling the contract).

If the HOA decides to go with another contractor for the next year, they can do so (they do not have to give any reason whatsoever).

However, if the HOA were to break a contract (so for example, if the scenario you describe had the contractor in a 5 year contract with the HOA, and the HOA decided to break the contract after year 3, the contractor is entitled to sue the HOA for breach of contract and recover money damages for the 2 years that they are owed under the contract terms).

Related Real Estate Law Questions