LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

My neighbor has built a rock wall from ground rocks about

Customer Question

my neighbor has built a rock wall from ground rocks about 5-6' high, it tumbles constantly, and is very unsightly, can I do anything to make him remove it? he is a renter, not a home owner
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

It will be the owner of the property---the landlord---that you will need to talk with. It is unlikely that the rental agreement allows for the tenant to construct such a barrier and to the extent that it devalues the neighboring property, the landlord will likely want it removed just as you do.

Also consider having the local city/county building department look at the wall. If it poses a danger or is not in conformance with fencing regulations, the owner could be ordered to remove it.

If it doesn't violate any local ordinances, or if the property owner doesn't care if the tenant builds the wall---there is no legal basis for you to demand or sue for it to be removed from the neighboring property.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** property owner is a slum lord, hes renting a 30 yr old mobile home that looks like it could fall over at any moment, the roof is decayed, the windows are broken, there are no screens the decks look to be completely rotted out, it has shanty sheds built around it, it has brush piled 10' high and is a fire hazard, it disturbs me greatly that my property value - which Is perfectly kept can be ruined by such a worthless renter. I do not who the owner is but I will go to the county and find out, then send him a letter asking him t clean it up.
jeff
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jeff,

That would be a good start. Also, you don't say whether you are outside city limits or not, and many cities have ordinances against unkept property and this may be something for you to complain to the local code enforcement officer about, as well.

Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciated.

Please understand that in order for me to be compensated for having helped you, I need for you to positively rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

.