Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

My only income is Social Security disability I owe condo

Customer Question

My only income is Social Security disability I owe condo fees on the condo.
If I don't enter into an agreement with the association in the court file the judgment against me
I am in court now so I would appreciate a fast answer
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Could you clarify your question. I think I understand your facts, but don't see a specific question. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I don't enter an agreement with the association and don't pay them
And I am on social security disability
can the court entered the judgment against me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in mediation AT THIS MOMENT
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply. There are two parts of a judgment....one, is getting awarded the judgment, and two, is collecting it. The association would be able to get a judgment awarded, BUT, your SS disability would be exempt from their reach so the association could not touch your SS disability to collect the judgment. But, unfortunately, the association would, pursuant to N.J. Stat. Ann. § 45:8B-21(f), have the right to foreclose on your condo to collect the judgment. So, it would be best for you to make an agreement with them if you want to continue to keep the condo. This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you the association would not have these rights, but, I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!