Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am on the deed of my home with my son... 'As parent and

Customer Question
legal gaurdian' I have...
I am on the deed of my home with my son... 'As parent and legal gaurdian' I have been thinking of taking a home equity loan out on the property. Would I be able to do that with the deed titled the way that it is?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/14/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you provide me a bit more information? I'm presuming your son is a minor, is that correct? Also, are you the sole guardian or is the other parent also a guardian? If the latter, would the other parent consent? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My son is 12 and I am the sole gaurdian. His father is deceased.

Thanks for your response. Legally, the answer is, yes, you do have the authority to sign on behalf of your son. There are a couple of issues, however, that I should bring up. One, even though you are legally authorized to sign on your son's behalf as guardians, you might want to confirm that your lender is willing to allow it. Some lenders may want some independent authority, like a court, to issue approval in order to refinance the loan. Banks tend to be very conservative, as well as title companies issuing the mortgagee's policy, and so it's a good idea to get this addressed up front. Two, since your home is owned 1/2 by you and 1/2 by your son, you do have a fiduciary duty to your son with regard to his interest in the house. Thus, the use of the proceeds, 1/2 of which are legally his, can create a problem for you down the road when he becomes of majority age, if he contests that you used funds for some other purpose other than his benefit. So, that's just something you want to be aware of in your relationship with your son.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer