Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I live in Colorado. I have a 1yr lease. My question is this

Customer Question
can my management co. Change...
I live in Colorado. I have a 1yr lease. My question is this can my management co. Change how we pay rent. We did deposit rent directly into a bank account. Now he wants everyone to open a bank account to pay rent on line. Also a $1.00 conveniences fee
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/14/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The management company cannot make any changes during the lease term unless (a) you agree to them and (b) you get something in exchange for accepting the change. They can offer tenants the option of paying online and charge a convenience fee for people who want to take advantage of the service. But it's not really a convenience if you don't want to pay your rent online, and there's nothing in the law that would allow them to require you to do so unless it's already in your lease. Double-check your lease to see what it says about accepted payment methods.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer