P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

I live in Knoxville, TN and own my home. My boyfriend lives

Customer Question

I live in Knoxville, TN and own my home. My boyfriend lives in the house and refuses to leave. Can I change the locks? I own the house and there is no rental contract.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Can you tell me, how long has he been in the home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought this home in February. He works away 2 weeks out of each month, but all of his things are in my house. We had this same arrangement before, but lived in a house in Louisiana.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
I am sorry to bear bad news. Since he has lived in the home for so many months, he has the status of "tenant". You can not just toss him out. OR...you could, but if you do you could be liable for "wrongful eviction".

To properly evict, you will need to give notice, in writing and at least 30 days to find a new place to live.

If he stays over, then you would go to court and file an eviction case...and when the court orders eviction, the sheriff will enforce the order (if he refuses to leave)

Bot***** *****ne: you have to give him notice in writing and 30 days to leave.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.