How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118634
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My roommate is kicking me out because I won't sleep with m.

Customer Question

My roommate is kicking me out because I won't sleep with him. We met on roommates. Com, I have a drug problem but I pay my rent on time. He told me he'd help me take care of my dog so I could go to detox but hasn't followed through. I work as an escort part time putting myself through school and he is using this to threaten me. I'm not on the lease and now he's become physically threatening and I'm too afraid to go home until he's at work so I sleep in my car. I have 7 days before he says my stuff will be thrown onto the lawn. I'm in Colorado what can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are not on the lease, this is an issue and he can force you to leave by giving you notice. Legally, you cannot force him to allow you to remain in the property, but he has to give you 30 day written notice to leave if you pay rent monthly and failure to do so would be deemed an unlawful eviction. He cannot execute self help if you have a verbal lease roommate agreement, he must give you written notice and if you do not leave he has to sue in court for eviction and have the court order you to leave. So if he has not given you written notice required under CO law and he puts you out, you can sue him for unlawful eviction and seek money damages from him. But if you are not on the lease you have no right to remain in the property beyond the time you have paid your rent.