How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Lykken, Esq Your Own Question
Michael Lykken, Esq
Michael Lykken, Esq,
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 103
Experience:  Partner at Soares & Lykken, Attorneys at Law
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Michael Lykken, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A trust was set up approx 1988 with my grandfather and my

Customer Question

A trust was set up approx 1988 with my grandfather and my deceased mother as beneficiary. State of ca has adv of life insurance trust but w/o trustee name I'm unable to access monies. HELP PLZ
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was a life insurance policy not real estate as in property
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. Thank you for using this service for your question, but please understand that i can only give you general advice. I first want to make sure I understand the question. You state that a trust was created. Do you have a copy of the trust or know who created it? Also, this trust was created in 1988, correct? Finally, whose life insurance policy are you dealing with? If you could confirm/answer these questions that would be helpful.

Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I would like to help you with this question, but need further clarification. If you are not interested in this, please know that I only receive credit for my response if I am rated, so if you could rate my service I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No one seems to be able to find copy of trust. So I'm done. This wasn't a real estates question so I don't require your service. Thank you anyway-my mistake not realizing your speciality.
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I completely understand. However, it sounds like you are dealing with a life insurance trust. These are specialized trusts that aren't commonly used. If you can't find determine who the trustee of the trust is, you may have to petition the probate court for the appointment of a trustee. The reason that you need a trustee is that the trust by itself can't hold title to property. Thus you need the trustee who will hold legal title to the life insurance policies or proceeds. Since no one can find the trust documents, it sounds like you may have to file a petition. Good luck!