Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I took my former landlord to court over my security deposit.

Customer Question

I took my former landlord to court over my security deposit. The judgement was in my favor for a total cost of $1,556. Judgement was made on 10-14-15. I cannot get contact with her and she won't return calls. What are my next steps?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Once you get your judgment, if the loser doesn't pay then, you (as the prevailing party) return to court with a motion to execute judgment and ask to examine the defendant’s financial and personal information to ascertain the location of any property or bank accounts. Once you obtain that information in the court (and the loser must answer under oath), you ask the court to issue an order of seizure in order to satisfy the judgment. The court will then issue the order and the clerk will have the forms to serve on the landlord's banks. Under Texas law, garnishment of wages is not allowed in this situation.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!