Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Months ago before our lease was up we told the landlord that

Customer Question

Hello. Months ago before our lease was up we told the landlord that we were buying a place and planned on closing Nov. 3. He then said we needed to sign the lease and would have to have a 90 day notice, but that we would most likely work something out. We had not been planning on buying, but the new place is great. We had just finished renovating the bathroom and the landlord said that he would pay for the materials if I did the work. Once completed we were going to pick up $3,700 and asked him to pick up $3,000.00 (rotted pipes, mold removal, wall replacement, new sink, vanity, faucet, light, medicine cabinet, wiring) he then sent an email back saying how much he appreciated all we did for the building (10's of thousands over 13 years) he said, "The renovation was your choice. I just renovated the apartment next to yours and they are paying $210 - $235 more so you can figure that you saved that money over the year. In all the years we have lived there we have never had a rent increase higher that $20 - $25. So he is saying that he was going to raise our rent by $235...not possible. How can he benefit financially for the work I did. He would not replace the windows for 10 years and still the bedroom windows are fogged over. The lights are out, the back door doesn't open, we have never received the interest on our security, and after he got the lease he said, "I really need three months because I want to travel and don't want to deal with it." How can he travel on our dime? With all the money we have put into the apartment, his lack of response, reason for a 90 day out, etc. do we owe him rent for this month? He never even posted the apartment for rent and did nothing to mitigate the rental. He just expects us to pay for his travel time.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Just to clarify, you signed a new lease giving a 90 day termination?