RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I am a Property Manager living is El Paso, Texas. An owner

Customer Question

I am a Property Manager living is El Paso, Texas. An owner of properties that I manage has just acquired a new property through foreclosure purchase. Upon receiving the documentation showing ownership, I went to the property to speak with the occupant, believed to be the previous owner. The occupant would not answer the door. I have now been there twice, left my card and a letter, but received no response. The owner suggests that I offer them $1,000.00 as an incentive to move, but I am in not confident that that is a good idea? How do I get the occupant out of the property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. It is a good idea, if you can get them to agree that the money will be paid and given on a specific date, once they are ready to vacate and after you inspect the home, to make sure there is no damage or they did not take any appliances or fixtures. If they refuse or fail to cooperate, then they would need to be evicted. Once the owner obtain their certificate of title, making them the legal owner, they can first provide the tenant notice to vacate and if they refuse, start the eviction process. Eviction would be the only way to get them out if they fail to cooperate.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.