How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117419
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a disabled senior that has lived in an apartment

Customer Question

I'm a disabled senior that has lived in an apartment building for the past 8 years on Section 8. Every year my rent has been raised by about 45 dollars,but this year the landlord just sent me a letter on Dec.1 saying my rent would go from 950 a month to 1175 in February. I am terrified about why this is happening and where will I go.What are my rights?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The rent increases are governed by your housing authority under Section 8. There are very few reasons why your rent can be increased in Section 8 housing. It can be raised only if:
Your household income increases
You move and start a new tenancy
The housing authority approves a "contract" rent that is higher than the "payment standard"
The housing authority lowers their "payment standard" (the amount that the Housing Authority will pay overall for rent on a unit of a particular size).
If your landlord is not raising the rent for one of those reasons the increase would be disallowed. You must call the local Section 8 Housing Authority Office and discuss the increase with them as they will have to review the increase to determine if it is appropriate.

Related Real Estate Law Questions