How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have only a verbal agreement with a person renting a room

Customer Question

I have only a verbal agreement with a person renting a room in my residence that includes paying rent monthly and before the month starts. I have received only 1 months rent after a month has passed and it will be another month on Dec 15, 2015. This tenant is 21 years of age, has a steady girlfriend and my agreement with him was that his girlfriend can stay over night on the week-ends. I stated that the week-end ends on Sundays at 10pm. He abused this request having her stay passed midnight on Sunday's and then by sneaking her in during the week and allowing her to sleep over without my permission. He did not even inform me that she was coming over. I explicitly stated that as the homeowner, and I do work from home, I need to know who is visiting my home. Additionally, there needs to be noise restrictions after 11pm during the week so as not to disrupt my personal lifestyle which includes going to sleep at a respectable time so as to be able to work during the daytime hours. Obviously his lifestyle is in conflict with my lifestyle so I requested that he make plans to move by the 15th of December 2015. I made this request on Nov 17th 2015 and he did state that he was making plans to move by Dec 15th 2015.
Since that verbal agreement, he has been sneaking his girlfriend in overnight. I did state that he alone is renting the room and it does not include his girlfriend.
Should I wait to see if he follows thru with his statement that he will be moving by Dec 15, 2015 or should I formally serve him with a written notice to vacate my premises?
If he doesn't vacate by 12-15-2015, what can I legally do to evict him? Can Ii request that he leave within the next 3 days after 12-15-2015 or his belongings will be in the street?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


First thing to do is deliver this notice to the tenant. After that, if the tenant doesn't either bring the rent current or vacate the property, you will have to file for a summary process with the Circuit Court in your county.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Related Real Estate Law Questions