How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102506
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have had 2 properties stolen from us in Broward County

Customer Question

We have had 2 properties stolen from us in Broward County and Palm Beach County, via Forged Quit Claim Deeds. We have been calling down to Florida from Pennsylvania and seem to be getting a run around because no one really know what we are saying. Please if you know someone we can call that is knowledgeable in this area because we can't find a number for anyone. Thank You.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. There are two sides to this - civil and criminal. Both need to be discussed.


Forgery is a crime under F.S. 831.01. See HERE. What someone in your situation needs to do is to file a criminal complaint with the police, both in Palm Beach County and Broward County. The authorities would then look into the matter and may charge the individuals - the investigation may take a few weeks or months before a decision whether or not to charge them is made.


To correct the deed record, one may wish to file a quiet title lawsuit. This kind of lawsuit asks the Court to determine who the property actually belongs to. If the Court believes that the deeds were forgeries, the Court may render an order that invalidates the deeds, and the order can then be used to transfer the title back to you. Because a criminal conviction or confession may be used in civil Court, some parties prefer to wait to see what happens with the criminal complaint prior to filing a civil suit, and some parties simply pursue both options together. An attorney is recommended to file suit a suit, but it is not mandatory. Let me know if you need help finding counsel for this, or, if you need an example of what a complaint from such a lawsuit looks like.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!