How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31685
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live on the river in Camden County. I noticed that my 2015

Customer Question

I live on the river in Camden County. I noticed that my 2015 real estate taxes were 107 acres less in 2015 than they were in 2014. It appears that UE has confiscated 107 acres of my property without my knowledge and now say they will pay property tax. They did not notify me of these changes, I was unaware until I examined my tax statements. UE does have the easement rights. I have owned this property since 1997 and it is farmland.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The utility company having an easement wouldn't give it the authority to take any of your property without (a) you issuing a deed to UE or (2) UE being allowed to exercise eminent domain and condemn the property; but you would be served with notice of the lawsuit for this to be done. The only alternative would be that you lost the property due to unpaid real estate taxes.

But, there's not much need to speculate about this. You should be able to contact the tax collector's office and ask what happened to the property. Also, you can have a lawyer or an abstractor look at the land records to see if any deeds, court orders, or other transfers occurred that would have caused this change.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

But, anything that occurred would require that you receive notice before property would transfer.....otherwise, your due process rights would be violated.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

So, your best option is to contact the tax office and ask an employee to tell you why the acreage changed.....they keep records of these type changes and they should have no problem telling you what occurred.