How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42867
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in City, VA. on the River. Our neighbor Installed an

Customer Question

I live in Charles City, VA. on the James River. Our neighbor Installed an underground pool in 2008. The pool with hard scrape is 8 inches from our property line. The county regulation is 8 feet. We have asked nicely for several years for him to move his hard scrape and landscape properly. We have run out of patience. How do we get him to comply with the law?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

Here you are going to need a local real estate litigation lawyer to sue the neighbor.Usually the lawyer sends them a demand letter and then if unresolved you sue here arguing they violated city codes/ordinance and should be required to come into compliance by moving it.

The neighbor bears all of the cost here to move the pool since they allowed it to be built in violation of the code/ordinance.The courts usually set a reasonable deadline for them to move it and come into compliance.If they fail to meet the deadline they are in contempt of court here.

You have rights through the Virginia courts and this includes damages to you for loss of use of property, legal fees, costs, etc.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Lawyer referral here for you.