Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My Name is ***** *****, There is an electrical problem in my

Customer Question
Customer: My Name is *****...
Customer: My Name is ***** *****, There is an electrical problem in my apartment. The first thing that happened was the hot water heater started working intermittently. I informed the property management company they said they would replace the hot water heater the following Monday. I told them I thought it was electrical. They did replace the hot water heater after two weeks, the new one did not work at all and then the stove the stove began to work intermittently also some lights would only work some of the time. Yesterday I came home to no heat no stove and a new hot water heater that was no longer hooked up. I called the emergency number they did not return my call they say there is going to be an electrician out there today but that was promised weeks ago. I have said I will move to another unit at their expense and with no unit transfer fee. If this does not happen what do I have to do to break the lease?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: For instance?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Landlord-Tenant Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/30/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the premises is not habitable because of an electrical problem, the landlord has to pay for you to stay elsewhere until it is fixed. That is what they are doing. They have to make efforts to fix it in a reasonable time, which seems to be what they are doing. If they give you the other place to live and they do indeed send someone out to try to repair the issue, then they are doing what they are supposed to do in response to the tenant complaint and they are not in breach of lease. So at this point it would not be sufficient grounds for you to break the lease. If they do not move you or do not send out the electrician this time, after they made other efforts, then that is a basis to break the lease.
They have not provided alternate housing. They have not given me that option. It has been well over a month since the problems first began.
Thank you for your reply.
If they do not make the repair today or do not pay for you to stay elsewhere until repairs are made, they are in breach of contract and you can sue for breach of lease and leave and seek your costs of moving and any other damages including return of rent for the time the premises was not habitable.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer