How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Relating to the previous question, if the parties involved

Customer Question

Relating to the previous question, if the parties involved should become incompatible and no longer wish to live together, what then?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

If the parties cannot live together, they will still own the property together.

If they have a property owner's agreement, they can at least decide in advance how they wish to divide their property between one another (if they want to continue owning it and perhaps rent it out, if they want to allow one person to live there but not the other, if that person should pay rent to the other, or if they want to sell it, etc.).

If they do not have such an agreement, they can then sue in what is called a "partition action" and the court will order the property sold and require the parties to sell the property and divide the proceeds. (this is not a very cost effective way of terminating a joint ownership).

Related Real Estate Law Questions