How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 40979
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother and s wife have just been granted a divorce, the

Customer Question

My brother and his wife have just been granted a divorce, the house is in her name but the divorce stipulates that the proceeds for the sale (escrow to close 12-13) are to be disbursed 50/50. She is not sharing any info regarding the sale and says the proceeds will be sent directly to her and he should be "happy with what she gives him".
Can he place a lien on the property to motivate her to let him "see" the closing statement and to instruct escrow to wire him his half of the proceeds directly to his account?
If not a lien, how can we require that he be paid from escrow?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

He should get a certified copy of the decree and settlement and send it to the realtor and the title company here.

The letter should read to whom it may concern ,

This letter is to confirm that according to the attached decree/property settlement the house located at***** City,state was to be sold and divided equally as per the terms of the attached documents. Any deviation of the terms of the settlement would risk possible contempt of court. I am demanding that my half of the proceeds be wired to me at (your address). Please contact me and verify my banking information so that this can be accomplished in a timely manner.

His name and address and phone and email.

It is too late to put a lien on the property, he could have done this as part of the divorce.This puts them all on notice and they should honor this once received.They will likely need him to sign a release and will be in contact with him.I would send it express mail here and follow up with a phone call to both to make sure it was received..

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ray has been very helpful, I appreciate the availability of this site. Thank you,
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

You are so welcome.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can rate using the stars, five stars is best, ***** ***** is is how we are compensated.Thanks again.

Related Real Estate Law Questions