How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117369
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Judgment lien on my property. The property is

Customer Question

I have a Judgment lien on my property. The property is located in Orange county Florida. The lien is 20+ years. The lien was filed 1/24/1994. How can I write over this stale lien?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


Can you please clarify the term, "write over?" Is your goal to avoid the lien so that you can, for example, sell, or refinance the property?

What is the lien value?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Selling property. Lien value is 1,444,000.00.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Is this your principal residence or an investment property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Principal resident
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Wait a second. Silly me.

If the lien was recorded in 1994, then it's expired. Contact a title insurance company and have them run a title report. They will tell you pretty quickly whether or not they will insure title as part of the sale.

If you've already done this, and the title insurer has declined to write a policy, then I would need to review the lien document and the title report, to try to figure out why you can't get insurance. And, for that I would have to send you an additional services offer. So, if that's where we're at let me know if you're interested, and I'll send the offer.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you can send me an estimated legal fee to resolve this issue. my email address:***@******.***
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
Your previous contributor opted out because I am afraid that state law forbids any expert on this site from actually representing you or any other customer on the site. If you need local counsel, please use the same sites used by other attorneys, or
We can answer questions and provide information to customers, but we are forbidden from representing them.
If you have further questions, please ask and I will assist you. If you do not, please consider leaving positive feedback for your expert. Thank you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions