Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My husband abandoned me 5years ago can i get remarried to

Customer Question
someone else...
My husband abandoned me 5years ago can i get remarried to someone else
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/26/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of your situation.

Unfortunately, abandonment alone will not allow you to remarry, you must first file for dissolution (divorce) in family court.

You can do this without an attorney (not recommended) using a self help guide such as this one: http://www.lawhelpnc.org/resource/divorce-packet-self-help

Or you can retain a family law attorney to guide you through the process, represent you in court, and ensure that the process is completed without any problems or errors in a timely fashion (if you plan on remarrying quickly, I would highly recommend using a lawyer as this can help expedite the process and help you avoid time consuming mistakes).

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer