Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If you have a Church deed with a reversion clause, can you…

Customer Question
If you have a Church...
If you have a Church deed with a reversion clause, can you execute a parking easement for an adjacent Building?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/24/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

By reversion I presume that you mean that if the church ceases operation in the future, that the property must be immediately transferred back to the party who sold or donated the land to the church in the first place.

So, in this circumstance, while the church could grant a revocable license to the owner of the adjacent building to use the church parking lot, the church may not give a permanent easement to that next door neighbor as that would legally interfere with the rights that the reversionary owner has in the property. The church may not encumber the property in any manner that would result in the reversionary owner getting less than full property rights returned in the event that the church ceases operation and triggers the reversion of the property to the earlier owner or their heirs.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug