How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 12398
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I record a lien on a Hawaii property from the state

Customer Question

How do I record a lien on a Hawaii property from the state of California? I need to put a lien on a condo for monies I have loaned.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

First and foremost, you would need to obtain the consent of the borrower via a signed document. Once you have that, you would need to have somebody (i.e., an attorney or title abstractor) record the lien instrument in the land records of the jurisdiction in Hawaii where the property is located. This will put the public on notice of your lien, and protect your priority in the event of a default.

If you cannot obtain the consent of the borrower, but you have already loaned the money, then you would need to wait for the borrower to default on the loan, then sue him and win a judgment, and then record the judgment where the property is located so that it can become a judgment lien. Hopefully you are not in this predicament.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!