How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RONB-ESQ Your Own Question
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 357
Experience:  Right of Way Manager at Access Midstream Partners, LP
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RONB-ESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a parking easement question. How does this service

Customer Question

I have a parking easement question. How does this service work?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. I see you have a question about an easement . I have handled matters like this in the past and believe I can help you understand your rights. In the event I believe you should seek a local attorney, I will advise you of that as well.

Easements are one of the areas I have spent the bulk of last the 5 years as I managed a group that purchased easements for gas pipeline and also dealt with eminent domain/condemnation very frequently.

I think part of your question is about the site Just Answer- You will be billed the price you offered once you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question. You can ask as much as you want so long as we stay on the same issue. Due to the nature of ethics rules I can't give actual legal advice, but I am very familiar with easements in my state and if I don't know the answer I can likely find it for you. If at some point you wish to talk via telephone I can arrange that for an additional cost, but it is not required and we can complete everything right here.

Could you give me more specifics as to the easement? Are you trying to buy an easement or someone trying to get one on your property? If You have a land survey that you can scan and send electronically it might be helpful. If you have a first or last name you prefer I use just let me know. Feel free to call me Ron.

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

It shows you initiated a phone call, but then advises your payment did not clear. It may be the system just has to run it again. I will continue trying to accept.

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Can you confirm the you requested a phone call? Do you show payment cleared? Has another expert called you? I have had this issue before and it would help me better understand the site myself. Even if you handle with another attorney could you let me know if you were able to complete the phone request?

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

If you have received a phone call and had your question addressed I will move on, but I just want to make sure you get the best service possible. Do note that you can feel free to send me any follow up questions you have on this same issue. In the event you did not get a phone call from anyone and need more information just reply to this and I will get a notification. Have a great day and great holiday week.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's going on? I was charged $27 an my credit card and then your system started a rapid series of charges--so many my credit card company blocked my credit card. Due to problems with the site I was not able to even finish typing a question. I have talked to the credit card company and unblocked the card. If I can ask my question I'd like to. Otherwise I'd like my money back.
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

I truly apologize for those system problems. I attempted for 10 minutes to accept the phone request and the system would not let me. You are entitled to a full refund and can contact customer service at

I had decided that some other attorney had called you and answered your question. I would be happy to submit a request on my side for a telephone offer, but I also don't want to cause you anymore issues with the credit card. I don't work in their office and we are not associated other than I agree to provide answers on the site for a portion of the payment they collect. I would be happy to continue right here and respond via typing? I could also try and offer a $5 phone call from my side just to alleviate the frustration over what happened? I won't receive any of that payment or original, but I would be happy to do so to get you the answer you need.

Again I don't want the same credit card issue to happen and so you may not want to take me up on that offer. I know that if we just continue typing that won't occur and you can request a refund for what you were charged for the phone call. Which would you prefer. Again I apologize for system issues, but I do not handle anything except answering questions and when a customer provides me positive feedback I am emailed a portion of the amount you were charged.

I am happy to continue anyway that you would like to, just let me know here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you are there and can answer the question, let me describe it more precisely. I own a townhouse in a small townhouse community in Fairfax County, Viginia. There is a sidewalk, parking, and an access road in front of the townhouses. Each owner owns the space in front of his/her house, but there is a 30 foor right of way easement and an 18 foot parking easement. I want to know about my rights and responsibilities vis-a-vis my parking easement. Regarding rights: I have parked in the two spaces in front of my house for years, but parking is getting tight in my neighborhood and others are increasingly parking in "my" spaces. An extreme was someone who parked a relatives car that was broken in front of my house for months. Effectively my space became storage. Does the easement mean anyone can use my space for any kind of parking, or is there some kind of limit? Regarding responsibilities; Am I responsible for maintaining the parking spaces, e.g., snow removal, repair of surface (a few potholes are developing)? By the way, there is no HOA.
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

In most situations somewhat similar (Condo's) the covenants included at time of purchase dictate who, and how members are assessed the cost to repair or replace common areas. In this case it sounds like that would be entirely governed by the Easement agreement. Do you own the 2 spaces you park in or are they part of this overall parking easement? The Easement agreement could and should dictate all of these terms since you don't have any other HOA or covenant/restrictions that would address this issue. I think you need to get the easement agreement and read it and see if it addresses these issues. That is the first place I would want to look for guidance as an attorney facing this issue. Do you have a copy of the Easement you could scan and send to me? If so there is a link on your side that allows you attach a file and it will come to me.

I will need you to note that due to professional ethics I can not provide specific legal advise to you, but I would be willing to review the easement and give you might thoughts have reviewed more than a thousand easements in the last 4 years. I am not trying to brag just want you to be aware that I spend a great deal of my time in the previous 4 years dealing with easements. Though they were related to pipelines many of the laws overlap.

Is the easement something you have and could send me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've never seen a specific easement. I see a reference to the easement on the survey (just says parking easement), The deed just says that I was conveyed:Lot 38A, Carlyn Park Subdivision, as the same is duly dedicated, platted andrecorded in Deed Book 2620 at Page 469, corrected by Deed of Corrected and Resubdivision recored in Deed Book 2687 at Page 63, among the land records of Fairfax County. ...This conveyance is made subject to the easements, restrictions, right-of-way and conditions, if any, contained in the instruments forming a chain of title in this property.So it sounds like I'd need to figure out what those instruments forming a chain of title are? Any idea what they are or where to look for them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sooo--I just went on the Fairfax County land records website. I found a form for requesting copies of specific pages from deed books. So maybe I should request the copies of the pages listed in my deed to see what it says about the parking easement?
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

In most States you can search for these records online. Do a Google search for Search Online Real Property Records (Your County) Virginia. Avoid sites that have anything except .gov or .org on the end of their address as they are just trying to get you to pay them for what many times is free.

You might find it easier to go to that actual office and if the easement on your documents refers to an official document number then they could pull just that document. While the staff cant give legal advise they are generally very helpful at helping you find what you are looking for if you have time to by the office. if there is not a number they will be the best to tell you how to quickly find it or they might on occasion do it for you. Then you usually pay like $1.00 per page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. that sounds like what I'll do. thanks for your help. that's it for now. Have a good evening.
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Many times the reference to where the easement is recorded book/page will be for the first page. I would guess this easement to be between 4-10 pages and so you may want to go into the office.

I would greatly appreciate you taking time to give me a positive rating for my answer so that I get credit for the time spent. Please note that you are not rating the system (credit card issue) you are just rating me. You have the link I gave you and feel free to contact customer service for a refund if you were charged for a telephone call. Should you wish to reach me directly in the future you can find me at

I hope "I" have provided you excellent service tonight. Feel free to reply even after rating should you need me to clarify something.

Expert:  Miel-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

It is my goal to provide you excellent service and do my best to fully answer the question you posted. The only way I get any credit for my answer is if you give me a positive rating between good-excellent. I would truly appreciate you taking the time to go back and review my answer and give me feedback. In the event you don’t feel like I answered your question please reply so I have an opportunity to fully answer the question you asked. In the event you have already provided feedback and I missed it Thank you and please disregard.



Related Real Estate Law Questions