How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42816
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There was an error 10 years ago in the square foot of my

Customer Question

There was an error 10 years ago in the square foot of my house unbeknown to me. Recently I added a garage. The assessor come out and remeasures everything, changed the location from average to good and the quality of construction for average to good, although they never entered the dwelling. They added finished basement area and a half story above the garage. Both are not there. I know I have reson to appeal but this smells unethical and more like spot assessment. Can you help me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

Here you may well have good grounds to appeal the valuation.You would want to gather up some comparable ones that have sold nearby, zillow or other sites can help you.Certainly raising the location and quality without inspecting it inside is unfair , you may want to take some pics if you feel you have issues that all older homes have.All you are out here is your time.You could also argue that the prior years the assessment was different and the new one is unfair and nothing has changed .

You can go to the hearing here , it is fairly informal and present your side.Often they will offer some compromise, you may decide to take it if they offer a reduction at least back to what you had location and quality wise.

You can do this yourself and seek to reduce the valuation and taxes here and save some money.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Property owners have an opportunity to appeal their assessment every year. By appealing, the property is open to the re-valuation process in which the property assessment may be lowered, raised or remain the same. Annual appeals may be filed from May 1 through August 1 (or the next official business day should 8/1 fall on a weekend) of each year. Remember, in the case of an annual appeal, the Board decision does not take effect until tax bills are issued the following tax year.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

I would appeal it every year you have nothing to loose but your time to attend and prepare.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

More about the appeal itself, forgive me if some of this is redundant.

The process is relatively simple. At a brief hearing the property owner has the opportunity to present such information as recent appraisals or recent sales documentation for sales of similar homes in their area. The property owner may also present other information that may have an impact on the value of the property.

The Board of Assessment Appeals requests that the property owner provide photographs (front and rear) of the dwelling or commercial property. The photographs should be recent within the last 6 months and are to include any recent physical changes to the exterior of the property. Failure to bring these photographs on your appeal date may result in an unnecessary delay in processing the appeal. Your assistance is anticipated and appreciated.

The property owner is requested to attend but if unable to do so, may send someone to provide the representation with a letter of authorization. If a property owner is unable to attend for medical reasons, the Board will make special accommodations. If the property is owned jointly by more than 1 person it is not necessary that all the owners appear at the hearing.

Based upon the documentation provided by the property owner, the Board will determine a fair market value for the property. The Board will then by statute, apply the appropriate Common Level Ratio (CLR) to the fair market value to arrive at the new assessed value.

Note here you can send a representative such as a spouse.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.If you have more follow up let me know, thanks.