How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34330
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I sue a company with a corporate office based in

Customer Question

How can I sue a company with a corporate office based in Atlanta , Ga ( Home Depo ) after not completing a Kitchen installation ( it has been 6 years and I tried everything to get them involved and complained with no resolve ) when I live in Pennsylvania
This is my home I purchased as a fixer upper but the kitchen needed remodeling because it has not been updated by the 1 owner who owned the property for 35 years.
I do not know how to start or what to do.
The property is in my name and we've ( me & My husband ( common law ) tried everything
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Can you tell me, how much money are you attempting to sue for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure my new Kitchen ( Remodel ) is 1/2 completed ( Cost paid $ 35,000.00 )
We were told to get some things on the contract done - 3 lights removed from the ceiling , the floor installed and the Brand New Stainless Steel Farm Sink installed. We did that . When we called the installation company assigned to the job a few months later for completion we were told they are no longer doing business for Home Depo .
I was told the team ( contractors hired for the kitchen install ) who was responsible for the job are not in business any longer.
We told them this and after years because we would stop in the store often , asking about completion. We stopped in several other stores to complain but we're always told to go back to the store where - purchased ( the store of purchase is Christiana Delaware -we were told to wait for someone from another company to stop by ( someone did he took notes of the condition then left . ( that has been since May or June of this year but of course thanksgiving is here again and - No Kitchen prepare a meal in .
Because it's been six years - I want to sue for the length of time
I want to sue for being without a functional Kitchen for 6 years.
I cannot use anything in the kitchen and the ( all brand new appliances ,and purchased from home Depo at the same time and delivered , Electric Range , Refrigerator ,dishwasher, double oven and warming drawer, ( the only appliance attempted to be installed is the dishwasher and double oven , but we were told by someone they are not connected to anything in the back. The rest of the appliances were never connected , or attached.
the shelves in the cabinets are not in , the handles and knobs for the drawers and cabinet doors are not connected and the cabinets are not completely installed - my refrigerator is sitting in my dining room at this time where it has been placed by their delivery team and has been there for six years, the ice maker is not installed.
I want to sue for my hurt , pain frustration and the unhappiness this has caused to my relationship and my life.
I would like to sue for another business to complete the Kitchen. My Kitchen is only maybe 15 x 15 but I purchased the best items and selected the best merchandise, my French door refrigerator was before its time not many kitchens had the items I choose but now they are not, and I should be compensated for this because I never used them and they are not the top of the line items they once were they will need updating soon.
I would like to have your opinion of what if anything else I can sue for ( SOOOO Soooo Frustrated )
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Can you verify this happened in PA?

And it happened over 6 years ago?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have all the receipts and the contract I received at purchase.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
I am truly sorry to be the person to bear bad news. I suspect you have waited too long...

Because this happened in PA? You would have to file the lawsuit in PA (not in GA). The statute of limitations for contract claims, in PA, is 4 years. SO you have to file the claim within 4 years of the work performed.

Since this happened 6 years ago? It is too late to sue them.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can still sue them, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You my name is ***** ***** wife is under the impression that there is no recourse. What other options are available
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

James, the fact so many years have passed means you can not sue.
And because of that, I fear your options are limited.

Certainly you can request the company pay for the cost to correct this mess. But if they refuse you can not sue them to force the issue.
That said, consider a public relations angle. Social media (like facebook) can be a powerful tool. If you can get folks to support your cause, perhaps you can put some pressure on the company to pay for your losses, despite the fact the statute of limitations has expired.

Again, sorry to have to bear bad news

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

James, follow up. The system shows you had more questions. Did you have more questions. Otherwise please consider accepting/rating the answer as that is the only way I receive credit.