Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

We bought a new construction home 1 year ago. Now there is a

Customer Question

We bought a new construction home 1 year ago. Now there is a pipe leaking, our ceiling has mold from the water. Pipe has been fixed, however the mold in ceiling is still there. How much time should we give the builder to fix this issue?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Well mold can be no big deal, or it could be dangerous. My understanding is that black mold is an issue for health safety, so if you have black mold I would probably have someone take care of it immediately, even if you have to then collect from the builder.

Obviously there was a problem with something the plumber did when it was built. You shouldn't have this problem so soon. Glad the builder was able to get the pipe fixed at least, but do continue pushing them to fix the mold. This should be done in a reasonable time, which means you shouldn't have to live there with mold. So if they are not doing it, I would take care of it myself and send them the bill.

Best of luck

Kim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is black mold.

Ok, I would not mess with it and get a professional in there. If it's just a little it's probably not a big deal, but anyway you aren't supposed to disrupt it without the proper precautions being taken. If it is a lot, I would seal up that room with plastic on the door, and then not go in that room until it can be taken care of. If that is not possible you could stay in a hotel and charge the builder for that too if they are dragging their feet taking care of this. You can mention to them that this is black mold and that might make them act more quickly.

Kim