Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I refinanced my mortgage as recently as early 2013 and

Customer Question
shortly thereafter JPMorgan Chase bought...
I refinanced my mortgage as recently as early 2013 and shortly thereafter JPMorgan Chase bought my mortgage. In March of 2015 I received an automated voicemail from JPMORGAN /Chase stating that they needed my letter of declaration from my Insurance Co by February 16th.(???) I assumed they meant of 2015, but they were a month late. When I called JPMORGAN they asked me if I had changed insurance companies. I told them that I had not. At that time they said that safeco cancelled my Ins because jpmc hadn't paid it on time twice in less than three years. I have been a homeowner for over 25 years and I've always had the insurance and property taxes taken directly out of my escrow. I've never had a problem with any other mortgage company before. I was told that my Ins through Safeco had been cancelled due to non payment. I checked my statements and there was more than enough in my account to cover the annual premium. I then called Safeco to ask why I'd been cancelled and they informed me that this was the second time JPMorgan had failed to pay them on time and that they were going to cancel my ins. I've had safeco for my homeowners insurance for 30 yrs and they saw fit to cancel my insurance because JPMorgan did not pay them on time. Safeco also sent a bill to a collection agency for one months premium payment for approximately $130.00 which I paid. Now, I am attempting to obtain insurance at a reasonable price and I am wondering how this could happen because there was more than enough in escrow to cover the cost. I called JPMorgan to ask why this happened and every single time I got a different explanation. At one point one of JPMorgan representatives told me that Safeco had cancelled my homeowners Ins because I wanted my car Ins through them. Frustrated at this ridiculous statement and completely dumbfounded at how incompetent every person I spoke to was, I asked if that made sense to her and told her that this was written in my file by someone at jpmc, because they very likely didn't want to tell the real reason I was cancelled was their fault.
I attempted to obtain my homeowners Ins through State Farm and was denied because I have a wood shake shingle roof and they no longer write policies for wood shake roofs. So, I tried to obtain my policy through American Family and I was told that they couldn't insure me because I had filed two claims in the last five years. This was news to me because I was told that my claim in August and September 2011 for a sewer back up in my basement was one claim. Until this point I did not know that Safeco had made this into two claims. I have an email stating that it would only be one. Now, I am forced to go to a broker for my Ins needs. I was referred to Rocky Mountain Ins advisors to get a sub par Ins for $4000.00 MORE annually. My insurance was effective on May 29, 2015 & on August 12, 2015, I received a call from Heidi Smith at RMIA stating that JPMORGAN had failed to pay the $1912.74 premium and I was going to have to pay them or my insurance would be cancelled. She added , Good luck collecting from JPMC. I found this to be rude and unprofessional on her part. I know JPMC is incompetent or I woyldnt be in this situation! So, I called JPMorgan, yet again, and I was told that the check had cleared on that day. After six months of grief and JPMC having my money in escrow and not paying, I'm hoping this nightmare is over. But it's not, on Oct 13 I receive a call from RMIA claiming I owe them an additional 130.00 because my house appraised at $305,000.00 and not $255,000.00 like they originally thought.. When does it end? I told Ms.Smith that she already received over $1900.00 from my escrow account and that she should collect that money from JPMC. She has continued to call and harass me for this money. I do not think that payment is my burden and it is extremely unethical for her to threaten me with the cancellation of my insurance. What recourse do I have in this matter?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/14/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

What do you want to accomplish?

Tina, Lawyer