How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

House was devastated by flood and the real estate company

Customer Question

House was devastated by flood and the real estate company knew this put us in an x zone and told us that it was not in a flood zone I have this in wrighting from the closing atty. my question is what are the opitions, never got any help from closing atty. County is liable for the drainage and were supposed to take care of that a year ago, they have already said that it was their fault and are trying to correct it, we can not move back into the residence until they fix it. How can we resolve this, their are four other families along the property that we bought within two weeks of the flood and they have the same documentation, we each have or had an acre of land with home and property. Name Odette L Miller, 1535 Ben Franklin Rd., Leesville, SC 29070, 1-803-(###) ###-#### ***** ***** ***** 803-466- 4357
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

If I understand your post correctly, the County has accepted (at least tentatively accepted) liability for this matter.

If this is the case you are dealing with government liability / government claims. This is important to move quickly on, many citizens lose these claims simply because they do not move quickly enough to formalize their claim against the liable entity, and the government can simply deny the claim on procedural grounds.

You say that you have had some contact with "different law firms" but that you are not familiar with working with lawyers (that is okay - most people do not work with attorneys on a regular basis).

What you need is a "Civil Litigation Attorney" - you can narrow your search parameters even further by looking for one that has experience in "Government Claims" or "Government Tort Claims" - someone that has experience suing cities and counties. (I wouldn't look for someone that has experience only doing this, you may also have a "fiduciary duty/negligence claim" against your closing attorney as well, but I would start there).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).