RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

My lease expired on the 7th of October. I got a mailed

Customer Question

My lease expired on the 7th of October. I got a mailed notice that rents were going up. When I went to pay for October, I was told that my rent was prorated from the 1st to the 7th, and that I owed more because of that increase. They charged me an additional amount. How does that effect our signed contract that was already signed.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In order for the landlord to be able to raise your rent, the proper notice needs to be given. I have provided the law below for your review, so you can apply it to the facts and time line to make sure they complied. This is what you can use to argue your rights and determine what you need to pay. As such, if the lease expired on the 7th, they could pro rate the rent from the 8th till the 31st based upon the new increase IF they provided you the proper notice.

NRS 118A.300  Advance notice of increase of rent.  The landlord may not increase the rent payable by a tenant unless it serves the tenant with a written notice, 45 days or, in the case of any periodic tenancy of less than 1 month, 15 days in advance of the first rental payment to be increased, advising the tenant of the increase.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!