Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Just purchased a house 10 days ago and moved in a week ago.

Customer Question

Just purchased a house 10 days ago and moved in a week ago. Due to plumbing issues discovered after moving in we find out the recent renovations done by the seller were done by an unlicensed contractor and are not to code, never inspected as required by the city. The seller says she isn't responsible and the contractor admitted to us he did it illegally. Who pays?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. My name is***** am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In a situation like this you can sue the seller for misrepresentation and failure to disclose known defects as this is an obligation under most, if not all, real estate contracts. You can also sue the contractor for doing unlicensed work (it may even be a criminal offense to contract without a license in your state).

If you had an inspection done on the property prior to purchasing it, you can sue the inspector as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We purchased a home that was inspected by a home inspection company. The seller had recently made kitchen and bath renovations to the home. After moving in we discovered plumbing issues and called a plumber who came out and said that the kitchen plumbing was not code, the washer had no vent (not code) and the bathroom plumbing needed larger pipes (not code). he also discovered some electrical issues that was not found by the home inspector also that are not code. The city we live in requires a permit, and an inspection of plumbing and electrical work to be done. The contractor admitted he does not have a license, he did not have it inspected and the city told me that he is already on a warning not to do any construction since he is not a licensed contractor. The seller says she is not responsible for anything. Who pays?