How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117372
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an investment single family home in Rochester NY that

Customer Question

I have an investment single family home in Rochester NY that was foreclosed for non payment of RE taxes, I was never properly notified that the house was going in the foreclosure action and this past week was sold.
Fist can they do that?
second is there a redemption period to take the house back?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under NY law, you had to be sent notice at the last address they had on file for you and publish notice in the paper. See. NY RPTL 1000 and NY RPTL 1002.
If they did not provide that notice there is a basis for going to court to vacate the sale as invalid.
Second, there is a minimum of 1 year redemption period, during which time you can pay the taxes plus interest to the winner of the auction to recover your property. See: NY RPTL 1010, RPTL 1022 and RPTL 1024.

Related Real Estate Law Questions