How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our landlord filled papers with the township assistance

Customer Question

our landlord filled papers with the township for rent assistance for me illegally when i was not behind in rent told them someone else was living for two months when i was living there i talked to the township and stopped her from getting the check the next she filed to evict me is there anything i can do to stop the eviction or prosecute her for frauding the township
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this matter.

You can defend the eviction as this is a "retaliatory eviction" and you are protected against eviction for a period of 6 months following the report (as long as you are not violating any of the terms of the lease - which doesn't seem to be the case based on what you posted).

I would recommend contacting your local (county) bar association and asking about referrals to legal aid or housing assistance. Most jurisdictions have legal counsel available to assist tenants in eviction matters, particularly in illegal or retaliatory eviction cases.

For self help, see: BE VERY AWARE OF DEADLINES!!! Failure to file your answer to the eviction will allow your landlord to get a "default judgment" against you, even though you have a very good defense, the landlord will be able to evict you and you will lose your opportunity to defend the matter on the merits!!!

The City/Township is the one that is responsible for prosecuting the fraudulent rent assistance application.

Related Real Estate Law Questions