WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

My brother owns real state in California but he resides in

Customer Question

My brother owns real state in California but he resides in Mexico, he wishes to transfer ownership to me. What type of deed would you recommend, Grand deed or gift deed? Also will it suffice that a public notary from Mexico signs the deed or does it need to be notarized in the US?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

It's a grant deed. That gives you title to the property. It should be a US notary, but if he goes to a US consulate or embassy in Mexico he can get a US notary done there. That would be my recommendation.

Plese rate the answer 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't a gift deed help save taxes?
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

Not really, the tax would be the same and you don't pay any tax until you sell the property. The tax would be the same whether a gift deed or a grant deed, and a grant deed gives you more rights as an owner, so that is my recommendation.