Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have submitted a purchase application apartment in

Customer Question
I have submitted a purchase...
I have submitted a purchase application for an apartment in Riverdale
to Goodman Managment but it has been rejected that I do not qualify
without a reason and explanation. All financial info was provided.
The broker declared that I am highly qualified.
But I suspect that my age (84) is the reason or other "fishy" possibilities.
Do I have the right to know the reason for denial ?
Thank you.
Norbert Kucharczyk
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/6/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. There is no "right" to know about denial, per se. Meaning that the cooperative does not have to list its reasons. However, if the would-be-buyer feels that it is discrimination based on age, then they can possibly bring a suit against the Cooperative.

If so, then as part of what is known as legal discovery (See HERE), the would-be-buyer can get documentation which may be a "smoking gun" that mentions age as a factor, or, can get someone to admit same in a discovery deposition.

Eventually the question would be decided by the Court at trial. So it is a risk. One has to file a suit first before being able to get any evidence that may support the claim. Sometimes, one already holds evidence or the evidence is overwhelming. Other times, parties file on little more than a hunch, and hope they are correct and that their claim stands.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Ely, Counselor at Law