How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WiseOwl58 Your Own Question
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3686
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
WiseOwl58 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passed in 1202. My step-mother refuse to sign the

Customer Question

My father passed in 1202. My step-mother refuse to sign the house over in my name. She wrote the bank and told them she did not know who stays in the house and she moved out. I have lived her with my dad and her since September of 2010. I grew up in this house. My dad's wife moved out in July of 2013 and relocated to SC. I have lived her since then, me and my daughter. Who is now in college. My step-mother recently called and said someone wanted to look at the house. She said the bank gave them her number. I want to know do I have squatters rights, since she never gave me permission to stay in the house. She just packed up and left. Do I have rights concerning ownership of this house? If so, what can I do to own the home?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

You do have rights, under New Jersey law, under the theory of adverse possession. That means that the true owners knew you were occupying the premises and did not object; therefore, they have no right to object now because you have been there long enough. They would have to permit you to stay or else buy out your interest for whatever price you can negotiate or not leave at all.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.